Sebastian Korda: ‘My father achieved something every player dreams of’
Sebastian Korda is anything but overwhelmed by comparisons to the achievements of his parents as he forges his way on the ATP tour.
Sebastian Korda has spoken about the pressures and expectations that come with the family name, but suggests that they do not seem to get to him.
‘I love answering questions about my family,’ Korda told ITFWorld for a recent publication. ‘My dad achieved something that everyone who picks up a racket dreams about,’ the youngster added.
Sebastian’s father Petr Korda reached his peak by winning the 1998 Australian Open, before reaching a career high ranking of world No. 2. His mother Regina was also a successful player in her own right, reaching her zenith at No. 26 in the world.
‘My parents dedicated their lives to us,’ Korda added. ‘And without them, we wouldn’t have the opportunities we have and definitely wouldn’t have the success we have today as a family.’ Sebastian’s sisters Jessica and Nelly are pro golfers on the LPGA Tour.
Korda has already begun to emulate his father in some regards, winning the junior Australian Open in 2018, 20 years after Petr won the professional tournament. This week in Miami, Sebastian reached his first Masters quarter-final 30 years after Petr achieved the same feat at Montreal in 1991.
Thank you everyone for the support. Means the world to me❤️❤️ https://t.co/XhpmbFVl3t
— Sebastian Korda (@SebiKorda) April 2, 2021
Petr has also been quoted as saying that he one day hopes to be asked if he is Sebastian’s father, rather than if Sebastian is his son:
‘It would be great if my dad was asked one day whether he is my father, rather than if I am his son,’ Sebastian Korda said of the comment.
‘I think that would make him proud as a father but there is a long way to go for that.’
Despite his quarter-final loss to Andrey Rublev, Sebastian Korda will certainly climb from world No. 87 to achieve a new career-high ranking next week.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner