‘Roger Federer is doing very well. The goal is to win the most important titles’, says his coach
Ivan Ljubicic said the goal for Roger Federer is to win the most important titles and that “there is confidence” after his return in Doha last month.
Former world No. 3 Ljubicic has been part of Federer’s coaching team since 2016, when he joined the Swiss’ long-time coach Severin Lüthi. The Croatian has overseen three of the 39-year-old’s 20 Grand Slam triumphs.
“(He is doing) very well, Roger is training for his return, scheduled for mid-May in Geneva,” Ljubicic said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.
“When he returned to Doha it seems to me that he showed that little something with the racket in hand, he is still capable of doing it. So there is confidence.
“The goal is that he can put together a lot of tennis to find the rhythm, on the type of games that none of us have ever had doubts about – those for the most important titles.”
Federer returned after more than a year out through injury at the Qatar Open in Doha in March. He will next play at the Geneva Open next month.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner