‘Right now I feel like I’m dying’ – Stan Wawrinka dumped out of Australian Open by Marton Fucsovics
Stan Wawrinka has been eliminated from the Australian Open after losing to the relentless Marton Fucsovics in a five-set epic.
Wawrinka, the 17th seed and 2016 champion, made a poor start to the match and found himself two sets down with everything to do.
He, though, made a real fist of it, roaring back into contention by levelling the match and forcing a decider.
With Fucsovic also having to play five sets in the first round, Wawrinka looked well-positioned to carve out an unlikely victory, but the Hungarian found something extra to get himself over the line and claim a hard-fought 7-5 6-1 4-6 2-6 7-6 win.
“Right now, I feel like I’m dying,” Fucsovics said after the match. “I’ve played two five setters and it’s really hot.
“I knew he would come back, he’s very strong mentally and physically. But I was very strong mentally and that was the most important thing.”
Fucsovics will now face big-serving Canadian and 14th-seed Milos Raonic in the Australian Open third round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner