Raonic defeats Kyrgios at Queen’s
Watched by his coaching team, which now includes John McEnroe, No.3 seed Raonic takes his place in the second round, where Raonic will meet Jiri Vesely.
Elsewhere on Wednesday there was a great win for Kyle Edmund, who defeated Frenchman Gilles Simon 6-4 3-6 6-1. Edmund will play Paul Henri Mathieu, who beat Briton Dan Evans 7-6(8) 6-7(6) 6-3 in another match held over from Tuesday’s rain delay.
Evans may be out of the the Aegon Championships, but he is pleased to have earned his place at Wimbledon by virtue of his ranking.
“It’s a good achievement but still, you know, it’s pretty tough to feel confident when you’re not winning matches,” he said.
Commenting on the fact his Wimbledon qualification meant a wildcard opened up for someone else, he said: ”It’s good for the other Brits I guess. I mean an extra wildcard opens up. I think everyone behind me is doing just as well.
“I think British tennis is on – everyone is doing well, winning matches in better tournaments than we are used to seeing. I think sooner or later we will have more players competing in these tournaments.”
The prize for the winner of the Mathieu and Edmund second round match will be to play the winner of Andy Murray and Aljaz Bedene, so there could still be two Brits in the quarter-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner