Puig loyal to her roots
The 23-year-old won the biggest title of her career at the Rio Olympics, beating Angelique Kerber in the final to win a first ever individual gold medal for Puerto Rico.
Although she moved to Miami as a child, Puig, who is an ellesse ambassador, remains loyal to her roots.
“The support of Puerto Rico to me means everything; my parents made sure while I was growing up that Puerto Rico and its heritage was very well taught to me and my brother,” Puig said.
“I’m really glad that they were able to celebrate with me in the biggest accomplishment of my career. Not only was it a huge step for me it was a huge step for the island.”
Reflecting on her career-best season, the world No.32 paid tribute to her family for their support throughout her career.
“My family’s support has always been very valuable to me; I look to them in my darkest moments but also I love sharing the success with all because at the end of the day they saw me from when I was born to how I am now and that journey of success,” she said.
“As far as my career goes, the person who has had the most influence has been my mom, she has always encouraged me to go pursue my dreams ever since I was a little girl.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner