‘Pressure of Australian Open title defence got to me,’ admits Sofia Kenin
Sofia Kenin says the pressure of defending her Australian Open title ‘got to her’ and it’s something she must improve.
The American went into the tournament earlier this year defending a Grand Slam title for the first time, but was eliminated in the second round.
After having some time to analyse what went wrong, she believes the weight of expectation was just too much for her to deal with.
“It’s not easy, I definitely feel the pressure,” Sofia Kenin said. “But you know, you got to live the pressure.
“This is a sport, the better you’re playing, the more attention you are getting. The more from you know, the outside is obviously going to be expecting you to do well.
“Fans, everyone around me. So I’m trying to somehow handle it.
“Did not do the best, handling it in January, coming off, wasn’t the best Australian Open for me. So obviously, kind of got to me.
“Wasn’t the best way of handling my emotions & everything. So now I’m just gonna take one match at a time and try to get as much match play as I can.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner