Pliskova qualifies for Singapore
The US Open runner-up booked her place on Tuesday after defeat for Dominika Cibulkova at the China Open guaranteed both Pliskova and reigning champion Agnieszka Radwanska a berth at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global.
Pliskova narrowly missed out on qualifying for the 2015 event, but a run to the final in New York, along with titles in Nottingham and Cincinnati this season helped the Czech book her ticket to Singapore.
“I’m very excited that I have qualified for the WTA Finals in Singapore,” said Pliskova, who will join world No.1 Angelique Kerber, Serena Williams, and Simona Halep at the Singapore Sports Hub. “It’s been an amazing year so far and the best is coming at the WTA Finals. I hope to see many fans in Singapore and that many more follow my matches from around the world. Wish me luck – I am excited to be there for the first time in my life.”
There are three spaces remaining, with Garbine Muguruza, Cibulkova, Madison Keys, Carla Suarez Navarro, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Britain’s Johanna Konta all in contention.
“Congratulations to Aga and Karolina on qualifying for the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global,” said WTA CEO Steve Simon. “Both have had incredible years, each winning multiple WTA titles – an impressive feat very few players accomplish each year. We are thrilled to see Aga back in Singapore to defend the Billie Jean King Trophy, as well as Karolina, who will compete at her first WTA Finals.”
Radwanska only narrowly qualified for last year’s event after a late run of form in Asia, lifting the trophy in Tokyo and Tianjin and reaching the semi-finals in Beijing. Despite losing her first two round robin matches, she qualified for the semi-finals, where she came from behind to beat Garbine Muguruza before upsetting Petra Kvitova in the final.
“It’s the goal of everyone to qualify for the WTA Finals, and I’m happy to be returning to defend my title,” said Radwanska after qualifying for an eighth time in nine years. “I’ve played at Singapore for a few years now, and qualifying again this year means I’ve had a great season – to be in the Top 8. It won’t be easy to defend my title, but that’s the goal. It will be exciting and a challenge to see different names and faces in this year’s field.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner