‘No matter which trophy, it was an incredible tournament’, says Karolina Pliskova
Karolina Pliskova reflected that she “enjoyed every minute” after losing to world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty in the 2021 Wimbledon final.
The eighth seed was defeated 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 by Barty in just under two hours in an entertaining women’s singles final on Centre Court.
It was the Czech’s second defeat in a Grand Slam final – having lost her only previous major title match to Angelique Kerber at the 2016 US Open.
Pliskova had a fine run to the final – dropping just one set en route in her semi-final triumph over Aryna Sabalenka.
“Thank you everybody for being here today, I enjoyed every minute to play on this court. (Cries) I never cry, never, and now…(laughs),” the 29-year-old said in her on-court interview.
“I think Ash, I want to start with her, I think she was playing an incredible tournament, incredible match today. It wasn’t easy to close the second set, I was fighting very hard to make it difficult for her.
“I think she played very well, so congrats to her and her team. I want to thank all of my team. All the success of course goes to them. No matter which trophy we have, I think we had incredible three weeks here.”
The world No. 13 was a surprise finalist – having not made it past the fourth round of a Grand Slam since the 2019 Australian Open.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner