Peschke and Stubbs reach Championships final
Kveta Peschke and Rennae Stubbs needed a champion’s tie-break to see off last year’s beaten finallists Ai Sugiyama and Katarina Srebotnik 6-3 2-6 10-4 and reach the final of the Sony Ericsson Championships.
They now face world No.1 doubles pair Cara Black and Liezel Huber hoping for a repeat of February’s Qatar Total Open final at the Khalifa Tennis Complex, where the pair sealed their sole title in 2008.
Both pairs started nervously, trading breaks in the opening two games. But it was Peschke and Stubbs who found their rhythm first, breaking Sugiyama in the third game and holding out to claim the first set, and breaking early in the second.
“The competition in women’s doubles at the moment is just unbelievable” – Stubbs
But 2007 runners-up Srebotnik and Sugiyama’s broke Stubbs’ serve and set off on a four-game streak that put them right back in the match. Three games later the second seeds levelled, with Peschke double faulting on set point.
The champion’s tie-break was an altogether different affair. Peschke and Rennae Stubbs took the initiative, winning the first seven points and although Srebotnik and Sugiyama mounted a minor four-point comeback it was too little, too late.
“The competition in women’s doubles at the moment is just unbelievable,” said Stubbs, making her 13th appearance at the season finale. “There could have been six or seven or eight teams that made the Championships this year. We feel really fortunate to be here.”
They’ll face familiar opposition in the final, but the top seeds are in ominous form; Black and Huber cruised past Spanish opponents Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual on Saturday afternoon, crushing them in the first set 6-1.
“We’re ready to play, we’re going to give it 100 percent and whatever happens, happens” – Black
Although Medina Garrigues and Ruano Pascual who won the title in 2003 with Paola Su
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner