Pablo Carreno Busta beats compatriot in thriller to reach Marbella final
Top seed Pablo Carreno Busta booked his place in the final of the Andalucia Open where he will face either Carlos Alcaraz or Juame Munar in an all Spanish final.
The World No 15 defeated Albert Ramos Vinolas in a close fought encounter 6-1 3-6 7-6(5) to reach his first ATP final since 2019.
Despite similar success behind the first serve, the main difference between the pair was the points won on second serve, with Carreno Busta winning 59% of second serve points compared to 47% for his opponent.
“It was so close. I don’t know what happened in the second set,” Carreno Busta said in an on-court interview.
“At the beginning of the match, I was very focussed on my game and being aggressive. After that, Albert of course started to push [back] more and [I] started to lose my level a little bit.
“I just kept fighting all the time, and I want to thank everyone [in the crowd] for their support. This is what we missed last year, the crowd. It’s very important to play these kinds of very close matches with a crowd like this.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 10, 2021
Carreno Busta, who has only won one clay event at Estoril in 2017, has enjoyed a successful week on home soil having beaten Mario Vilella Martínez and Kwon Soon-woo before his semi-final victory.
The 29-year-old will face his toughest test against clay court specialist Juame Munar or 17-year-old Carlos Alcaraz, who became the youngest player to reach an ATP tour semi-final since Alexander Zverev in 2014.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner