‘One of my best wins on clay,’ Norrie ousts no. 2 seed at Estoril Open
Cameron Norrie has prevailed in three tough sets to make it into the semi-finals of the Estoril Open in Portugal.
Cameron Norrie came from a set down to conquer no. 2 seed and world No. 22 Cristian Garin 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 in just under two and a half hours.
“I’m pleased to get through,” the Brit said in his on-court interview. “Garin is always so tough on the clay, I think this is one of my best wins ever on the clay.
“Take nothing away from him, it was a battle, he came out a bit sharper than me. I managed to play a good return game in the second set to break there and then held my nerve and played some of my best tennis for the week.”
Norrie converted just 3 of 12 break point chances throughout the match, but it was enough to carry him to victory.
This is Cameron Norrie’s second semi-final of the 2021 season, having reached the same stage in his first tournament of the season at Delray Beach in January.
“For me it’s nice just to be here in Portugal and playing matches on the clay and just getting matches before some of the big events,” Norrie went on to say post-match. “I’m taking this one as seriously as any other tournament.”
Norrie has never made a tour final on clay, and has only made one tour final at all, in Auckland back in 2019, which he lost.
“I’m feeling good on my feet and moving better and better as the matches go on so I’m pleased with that but I just need to rest up and get ready for the next one.
“Overall I’m enjoying my week here and it’s a pity we can’t have fans here but it’s a great court and a great place here in Portugal, so I’m enjoying it.”
Cameron Norrie will face the winner of Marin Cilic versus Kevin Anderson in the last four.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner