Novak Djokovic targeting Tokyo Olympics gold: ‘It is one of the dreams’
Novak Djokovic says it remains a ‘dream’ of his to win an Olympic gold medal, and he hopes it can happen in Tokyo this year.
Despite winning just about everything else in tennis, the Serbian star is yet to win Olympic gold.
The closest he managed to get was at the Beijing games in 2008, when he won bronze after being defeated by Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals.
However, with the re-scheduled Tokyo games on the horizon, Djokovic has reiterated his Olympic ambitions.
“It is one of the dreams, of course,” Novak Djokovic said. “I don’t want to be ungrateful for winning bronze because that was also good success.
“I played semis in London and lost there, for third place, as well.
“I always find extra motivation to perform at my best when I’m representing the country and, especially at the Olympic games as we all know it’s the most historical sports event.”
Djokovic has enjoyed success with Serbia before, winning both the Davis Cup and ATP Cup while representing his country.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner