Novak Djokovic salutes ‘flawless performance’ as he wins Belgrade opener
Novak Djokovic said he was ‘pretty flawless’ in his 6-1, 6-3 Serbian Open win over Soonwoo Kwon on Wednesday.
Djokovic is headlining the event this year after ATP Tour tennis returned to Belgrade for the first time in 9 years.
He suffered a surprise loss to British number one Dan Evans in Monte-Carlo last week, but he showed little signs of a hangover as he powered into the quarter-finals in his homeland.
“I thought I played very well from the very beginning, except that service game that I lost at 5-2 in the second [set],” Novak Djokovic said. “I thought it was a pretty flawless performance.
“I moved well, I was mixing up the pace quite well, making him play. I served well in the important moments, [and] overall I just felt great.”
On playing in his home country, Djokovic added: “It gives you an extra push, an extra motivation, energy to really give your best and leave it all out on the court.
“I think also that made me feel comfortable and confident on the court and I played really good. I’m really pleased with the quality of tennis.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner