Novak Djokovic: ‘Monte-Carlo Masters will certainly be different this year, but…’
Novak Djokovic believes officials at Monte-Carlo have turned the lack of fans into a positive by improving practice facilities for players.
A third coronavirus wave in Europe has meant fans will not be able to attend the event, which was cancelled altogether in 2020.
However, that has freed up some space on-site and Djokovic says that has allowed organisers to improve the training experience for players considerably.
“It will certainly be different, it will not be the way it is when the audience is present,” Novak Djokovic told Serbian reporters ahead of the tournament.
“It is better for training because there are no fans, there are only people from sponsoring companies.
“Under normal circumstances, it is difficult to provide courts for all players and then practice for an hour here, an hour there at the very beginning of the tournament when there are many players.
“Now I notice that most players train one on one without the need to share the court. That may be a positive thing.
“You play matches where you usually train, meet people and spend time outside,”
“Now we have time to look at the trainings of other players, for which we are grateful because we are in safe conditions due to all restrictions and it’s nice to catch some fresh air.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner