Novak Djokovic describes Rod Laver Arena as his ‘happy place’ after strong Australian Open start
Novak Djokovic described Australia as a ‘happy place’ for him after he eased into the second round of the Australian Open.
Djokovic comprehensively overpowered Jeremy Chardy on Rod Laver Arena, breaking in the very first game and never looking back from there.
He hit 41 winners in a 6-3, 6-1, 6-2 win, and afterwards he reiterated his love for the tournament.
“There’s an ongoing love affair between me and this court,” Djokovic said after the match. “Hopefully I can have many great matches with these kinds of performances.
“I’m just really glad we are free, we are playing tennis. I am really glad we are back in Australia. It’s a happy place, that’s all.”
“It makes my heart full to see a crowd in the stadium again.
“It’s one of those things we hope is going to pass very soon, these kinds of circumstances are temporary.
“These are the most people I’ve seen on a tennis court in 12 months. Thankyou so much, I really appreciate your support tonight, because sometimes we take these things for granted but I’m very grateful to see crowds back again.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner