Novak Djokovic chasing history as he starts 339th week as world number 1
Novak Djokovic sits as world number one for the 339th week of his career, moving the Serb closer to achieving new milestones in the months ahead.
Djokovic was defeated by Daniil Medvedev in US Open final earlier this month to finally end his attempt at completing calendar Grand Slam, and the 34-year-old admitted after the defeat he is uncertain whether he will play again in 2021.
Even so, Djokovic has started his 339th week as world number one due to the huge lead he accumulated throughout his stunning 2021 season.
Djokovic is now just 39 weeks from the all-time record (men’s and women’s) for most weeks at world number one, a record currently held by Steffi Graff (377 weeks). The Serb already holds the men’s record after passing Roger Federer’s mark of 310 earlier this year.
US Open champion Medvedev has an outside shot of ending 2021 as ATP year-end world number one, even if Djokovic remains top of the world rankings.
ATP rankings as of 20 September:
1. Novak Djokovic (SER)
2. Daniil Medvedev (RUS)
3. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE)
4. Alexander Zverev (GER)
5. Andrey Rublev (RUS)
6. Rafael Nadal (SPA)
7. Matteo Berrettini (ITA)
8. Roger Federer (SUI)
9. Dominic Thiem (AUS)
10. Casper Ruud (NOR)
11. Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN)
12. Denis Shapovalov (CAN)
13. Hubert Hurkacz (POL)
14. Jannik Sinner (ITA)
15. Diego Schwartzman (ARG)
16. Pablo Carreno-Busta (SPA)
17. Cristian Garin (CHI)
18. Roberto Bautista-Agut (SPA)
19. Reilly Opelka (USA)
20. Gael Monfils (FRA)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner