No French Open wildcard for Sharapova
The French Tennis Federation (FFT) revealed the full list of wildcard recipients for men’s and women’s singles – both for the main draw and for qualifying – on Tuesday, but the name of Sharapova did not appear.
Sharapova, who returned to action last month from a 15-month drugs ban, is ranked too low (No.211) to gain direct entry. She won the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen in 2012 and 2014.
“There can be a wildcard for the return from injuries – there cannot be a wildcard for the return from doping,” French Tennis Federation (FFT) chief Bernard Giudicelli Ferrandini said.
“I’m very sorry for Maria, very sorry for her fans,” said Giudicelli Ferrandini, as reported by the BBC. “They might be very disappointed, she might be very disappointed, but it’s my responsibility, my mission, to protect the high standards of the game played without any doubt on the result.”
The French Open begins on May 28.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner