New challenge for Konta
Konta, who upset No.8 seed Venus Williams in straight sets on Tuesday, will meet China’s Zheng Saisai for a place in the third round, where she could face No.30 seed Sabine Lisicki.
While Konta was the underdog against Williams, a former world No.1 and multiple Grand Slam champion, she will be the favourite against Zheng, ranked No.83 in the world.
Zheng, who is coached by Roberto Antonini and Alan Ma, is into the second round of a Grand Slam for only the second time in her career. The 21-year-old lost to Konta on their only previous meeting – in French Open qualifying in 2013.
“That was a long time ago,” said Zheng. “Last year in Wuhan she played really well. So I think will be really tough opponent.
“Konta is playing really well and if she can beat Venus that must mean something. It’s going to be a really tough match. I’ll have to fight a lot.”
Born: Xian, China
Lives: Guangzhou, China
Turned pro: 2008
Current ranking: No.83
Ranking best: No.61
WTA singles titles: 0
WTA doubles titles: 3
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner