Nadal wins 10th Monte Carlo crown
Nadal beat his fellow Spaniard 6-1 6-3 to lift his first title in a year, defending the title he regained in 2016, having won eight titles in a row between 2005 and 2012.
Nadal, who is also chasing an unprecedented 10th title at Roland Garros, is the first man in the Open era to win the same title ten times.
“It really is unbelievable,” said Nadal, who broke Guillermo Vilas’ record by winning his 50th clay court title. “To win 10 times at such an important event like Monte Carlo is something difficult to describe my feelings. Every year has been a different feeling. At the same time it is always a unique moment, every time, I have this trophy with me. [Of course] there is a little bit of luck, lot of things coming together to win this 10th title in an event like Monte-Carlo.
“I feel lucky to keep playing tennis [and] being healthy all those years, in order to compete in one of the most beautiful events of the year, without a doubt. I am very happy to win another one. For me, it is a very important day in my career.”
Images © Lijian Zhang
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner