‘My goal is to reach top 50 and qualify for Next Gen Finals’, says Carlos Alcaraz
Rising ATP star Carlos Alcaraz has set targets to end 2021 ranked in the top 50 and qualify for the Next Gen ATP Finals in November.
The 17-year-old Spaniard made his Masters 1000 debut as a wildcard at the Miami Open this week. He was beaten in a tight three-setter by Emil Ruusuvuori in the opening round.
Alcaraz is currently the world No. 132, having started 2020 at 492nd in the ATP rankings.
“It’s true that last year it wasn’t on because of the pandemic, but I think that (playing in the Next Gen ATP Finals) would be a good goal,” Alcaraz told ATPTour.com.
Get used to seeing this forehand 💪
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) March 25, 2021
“My goal is to end the year among the 50 best players in the world. If I achieve that goal I’ve set myself for this season and reach the top 50, that would mean I will be playing in Milan in November. It would be a good goal.
“I try not to pay too much attention to all the expectation being generated of me. I try not to place much importance on things being said about me like ‘the new Rafa’ or ‘the future No. 1’. I’m focused on following my own path, continuing to grow and gain experience.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner