‘My character has made me lose a lot of money and tournaments’, admits Fabio Fognini
Fabio Fognini believes his strong character has both helped and hindered him in his career, admitting that it has lost him “a lot of money, games and tournaments.”
The 33-year-old is the defending champion at this week’s Monte Carlo Masters – having won the 2019 title. The world No. 18 reached the third round of the Masters 1000 event today after beating Jordan Thompson 6-3, 6-3.
When asked if he would have achieved what he has without his strong character on court, the Italian told Marca: “I think so and at the same time I think not.
“On the negative side, it has made me lose a lot of money, a lot of games, and a lot of tournaments.
“I am not ashamed to say so. Ranking? Maybe it could have gone up past nine or not. To have been number five, four or three in the world, if that meant changing myself even if I didn’t like it, then I say no.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 14, 2021
“I’m not going to change. When I retire, I will be able to say that I have been sincere, that the real Fabio Fognini has been seen. No masks.”
Fognini will face Filip Krajinovic in the third round at Monte Carlo.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner