Top

Murray takes break as Federer accepts wildcard

0 Shares

 

Originally published on 09/04/14

While Murray has confirmed he will take a break from competition, Federer has accepted a wildcard for next week’s Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.

The Swiss will join eight-time winner Rafael Nadal and defending champion Novak Djokovic on the Cote d’Azur for the first of three Masters 1000 events on the clay as he bids to win his first title on the surface since 2012.

Meanwhile, Murray, who has slipped to No.8 in the world rankings, will hit the gym and head back to the practice courts to get some training in ahead of the busiest part of the season.

"I haven't been able to do loads of training and if you want to go far over the French Open and Wimbledon period you need to be in good shape physically," Murray said at the launch of the Aegon Championships on Tuesday.

"This will be a good time to build it up and also to work on some things. When you're playing matches it's hard to work on any little technical things, or things that you're not that comfortable with."

Murray, who missed last year’s French Open with a back injury before returning to win back-to-back titles at Queen’s and Wimbledon, believes he is capable of winning on the clay at Roland Garros.

"The best opportunity that the French Open brings is the opportunity to win another Grand Slam," Murray said. "That's what will be motivating me over the next three or four weeks to train hard and get in the gym and work to get physically ready.”

Murray is scheduled to return to action at the Mutua Madrid Open on May 5.

Now get the WORLD’S BEST TENNIS MAGAZINE here


0 Shares
Copy link