Murray makes Davis Cup history
In recent times Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic have all lifted the prestigious Davis Cup trophy for their country. Looking back through the history books many of the greats won the team competition: Bjorn Borg, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker and Lleyton Hewitt to name but a few. This now includes Andy Murray.
But none of those names enjoyed a perfect 8-0 record in singles rubbers in their title-winning year.
Federer lost to Gael Monfils in his opening singles rubber in last year’s final while Nadal (2011) and Djokovic (2010) went unbeaten but only played six and seven rubbers respectively.
Since the introduction of the World Group in 1981, John McEnroe and Andy Murray are the only players to win a maximum of eight singles rubbers en route to winning the coveted trophy.
Before that two other men had won the maximum number of singles rubbers: Donald Budge won all eight of his singles matches as USA won the title in 1937, while Bjorn Borg won 12 singles rubbers to help guide Sweden to the title in 1975.
Murray is the first player to win eight live singles rubbers in a calendar year, and the first player since Pete Sampras in 1995 to win three live rubbers in a Davis Cup final.
John McEnroe 1982
Andy Murray 2015
|R1 USA 4-1 India|
Carlsbad, USA (Outdoor Hard)
R1 d. Vijay Armitraj 6-4 9-7 7-5
|R1 Great Britain 3-2 USA|
Glasgow, UK (Indoor Hard)
R1 d. Donald Young 6-1 6-1 4-6 6-2
R4 d. John Isner 7-6(4) 6-3 7-6(4)
|QF USA 3-2 Sweden|
St Louis, USA (Indoor Carpet)
R1 d. Anders Jarryd 10-8 6-3 6-3
|QF Great Britain 3-1 France|
London, UK (Outdoor Grass)
R2 d. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 6-6(10) 6-2
SF Australia 0-5 USA
Perth, Australia (Indoor Carpet)
R1 d. Peter McNamara 6-4 4-6 6-2 6-4
|SF Great Britain 3-2 Australia|
Glasgow, UK (Indoor Hard)
R1 d. Thanasi Kokkinakis 6-3 6-0 6-3
|F France 1-4 USA|
Grenoble, France (Indoor Clay)
R1 d. Yannick Noah 12-10 1-6 3-6 6-2 6-3
|F Belgium 1-3 Great Britain|
Ghent, Belgium (Indoor Clay)
R2 d. Ruben Bemelmans 6-3 6-2 7-5
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner