Matteo Berrettini ‘very excited’ to play alongside idol Roger Federer
Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini has voiced his excitement of playing alongside Roger Federer after being selected to represent Europe at the Laver Cup.
Berrettini, who has enjoyed his most fruitful year on tour by winning Queens and finishing runner-up to Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon, has been selected by Team Europe for the three-day event at TD Garden in Boston.
Discussing his selection, the Italian powerhouse couldn’t contain his excitement at the prospect of playing alongside his childhood idol Federer and having Bjorn Borg as his captain.
“I’m really excited to be part of the Laver Cup this year. I’ve heard so much talk in the locker rooms from the guys that have played it before about what a cool event it is.
“Playing at TD Garden, having Bjorn Borg as my Captain, and being on the same team as one of my childhood idols, Roger Federer, is going to be a really special experience,” Berrettini said.
The Italian will hope to play a major role in continuing Team Europe’s dominance against Team World, with Borg’s men having won the previous three editions.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner