Madrid Open to remain in Spanish capital until 2030
The Madrid Open will stay in Spain until the end of the decade after a deal that includes infrastructure changes for the venue.
The clay court event is both a Masters 1000 and WTA 1000 tournament on the respective men’s and women’s tours.
Madrid has hosted a professional tournament continuously since 2002, initially being played on indoor hard courts between 2002 and 2008, before transitioning to outdoor clay from 2009.
That streak of stagings is set to continue to 2030, with La Caja Magica recently retaining the hosting rights to the tournament to that point.
“I am lucky to have been there from the beginning,” President and chief executive of Madrid Trophy Promotion, Gerard Tsobanian, said.
“This tournament started as a men’s event with the intention of putting Madrid on the map, but now it has grown into an incredible combined tournament.”
In addition, there are plans to add a new court stadium with a capacity of around 8,000 to 10,000 to go alongside the 12,500 seat main stadium.
The Madrid Open is one of three clay Masters 1000 events and just two WTA 1000 clay events.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner