Lorenzo Sonego to face defending champion Laslo Djere in Sardegna Open final
Lorenzo Sonego will meet defending champion Laslo Djere in the final of the Sardegna Open ATP 250 event on Sunday.
Third seed Sonego defeated second seed Taylor Fritz 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 in the first semi-final in Cagliari. The Italian earned the crucial break of the first set for 5-4, before serving it out. Fritz then recovered from 0-3 down to edge the second set, but Sonego responded strongly by sealing the match with a 6-1 deciding set.
Laslo Djere – winner of the tournament last year – destroyed fourth seed Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-2, 6-0 in 52 minutes to book his final spot. The 25-year-old Serbian dominated throughout, breaking the Georgian five times while not facing a break point on his own serve.
World No. 34 Sonego is aiming to become the first Italian to win an ATP title on home soil for almost 15 years. Filippo Volandri was the last player to achieve the feat when he won in Palermo in October 2006.
25-year-old Sonego has won one ATP title – the Antalya Open ATP 250 event on grass in 2019 – and finished as runner-up at the Vienna ATP 500 last year.
As well as having claimed this title in 2020, world No. 57 Djere won the ATP 500 tournament in Rio in 2019 – also on clay.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner