Robson downs Radwanska in Shrewsbury
Fourteen-year-old Laura Robson is into the quarter-finals of the $75,000 ITF event in Shrewsbury after beating world No.128 Urszula Radwanska on Thursday.
Laura Robson, who hit the headlines in June when she won the girls singles at Wimbledon, came through 6-3, 6-3 in one hour and 49 minutes at the Welti Tennis Centre.
Borwell blogs: Playing Laura Robson
“I was pleased with my performance today,” said Robson, who lives in Wimbledon and trains at the LTAs National Tennis Centre in Roehampton.
“Radwanska is a tough player so I knew I had to play a good match in order to win today. I am looking forward to my quarter-final match tomorrow,” she told the LTA website.
Robson goes on to play Israeli world No.123 and fourth seed Tzipora Obziler in the last eight.
The size of Robsons achievement in Shropshire is represented by the fact that she is now the last Briton still in the singles draw British No.2 Elena Baltacha and British No.4 Katie OBrien both lost in the second round.
Robson is now well on her way to her first senior world ranking. To gain a womens WTA ranking a player must play at least three WTA events, and the Shrewsbury tournament is the second of the left-handers career after she reached the second round of a French Futures last week.
Even if Laura Robson were to lose in the first round of her next senior event she is still expected to make her debut on the world singles list inside the top 700.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner