Svetlana Kuznetsova into Roland Garros round two
Fourth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova thrashed Japans Aiko Nakamura to move into the second round at Roland Garros on Tuesday before more rain wrecked the day three schedule.
The Russian world No.4 was the only player to finish her match before showers kept Tuesday’s play to a minimum.
Kuznetsova stormed through 6-2, 6-3 and showed why many including Justine Henin consider her a good bet for the title this year. Many apart from us, that is.
Afterwards, the 22-year-old Russian said Henin’s backing had come as a welcome boost.
“I had a short chat with her when she was here, said Kuznetsova, who next plays American Vania King or Frenchwoman Violette Huck.
She said, ‘Come on, maybe it can be your year.’ She cheered me up so I thank her for that.
“I had a very good relationship with her, respected her when she played. Now I respect her with her achievements. She was one of the best athletes, and it’s really sad she is leaving.”
When players finally made it back onto court, there were also wins for 13th seed Dinara Safina, Poland’s 14th seed Agnieszka Radwanska and 31st seed Ai Sugiyama.
And there was joy for the home fans when 22nd seed Amelie Mauresmo came through 6-1 in the third set against Ukraine’s Olga Savchuk.
The fourth seed in the men’s event, Nikolay Davydenko, eased through when he beat Swede Thomas Johansson 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 at Roland Garros.
Robin Soderling managed to put some smiles on Swedish fans’ faces, though, when he hammered 13th seeded Argentine Juan Monaco 6-2, 6-3, 6-1.
Ninth seed Stanislas Wawrinka from Switzerland continued his good form by seeing off tricky young German Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner