Konta wins big in Miami
Konta defeated Caroline Wozniacki 6-4 6-3 at Crandon Park to lift her third WTA trophy – but her first Premier Mandatory title – to climb to a career-high No.7 in the world rankings.
“It’s all kind of sinking in,” said Konta, who was ranked No. 146 two years ago. “I think going into any match, but also against someone like Caroline who’s such as athlete and can really stay out there as long as she needs to, it was really important for me to straightaway assert myself in the manner I wanted to play just so I had it clear in my head and give myself the best chance of executing what I wanted to tactically.”
Following her semi-final win over Venus Williams, Konta hit 33 winners and 19 unforced errors against the Dane as she wrapped up victory in an hour and 35 minutes.
“I tried to fight. She played really aggressively. She played well,” said Wozniacki, who climbs to No.12 in the WTA rankings following her run to the final in Miami. “I kind of gave the game away at 4-All in the first set, and then missed a couple break points at 4-5. Those are the ones that you need to take if you want to win a match like this.”
Konta, who won her first WTA title in Stanford in July 2016, is now 3-1 in finals after winning the Sydney International in January.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner