Kerber insists she ‘never lost self belief’ since 2018 Wimbledon triumph
Angelique Kerber revealed that she never lost belief in her game despite tough times since her last Grand Slam title at Wimbledon 2018.
The German came into this year’s Wimbledon ranked No. 28 in the world and having not progressed passed the fourth round at any of the ten Slams since Wimbledon 2018, five times going out in the first round.
But a run to the title at the Bad Homburg Open just prior to The Championships set Kerber in good stead on the grass and to perform well at SW19, which she has done.
“The last few months it was really tough and I was not able to get the results I was actually looking for,” Kerber said in her post-quarter-final press conference.
“But also for everyone the last few months were not so easy.
“For me, I never stopped believing in myself and my team. I love to play tennis and love this sport, to go out and play in front of the fans, I think this also pushes me to play my best tennis right now.”
Angelique Kerber has fought through two three-set matches and overcome the 20th and 19th seeds in Coco Gauff and Karolina Muchova.
In doing so she sets up a semi-final clash with top seed Ashleigh Barty.
“I have always in my career had some ups and downs but I always believed I could come back because I know what I can do,” Kerber added.
“The experience that I had a few years ago, I played twice in the final here and I try to take the experience with me.
“It is a good feeling already to have the trophy at home and to have won it here. I think it is more about this tournament for me because when I was a kid I really looked forward to playing this tournament and playing my best tennis here.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issueof Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with ourWimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner