‘Jannik Sinner reminds me of Robin Soderling’, says former star
Former American star Andy Roddick has praised the achievements of Jannik Sinner and drawn comparisons to Robin Soderling.
The US Open winner has praised the Next Generation star following his breakthrough year on tour, with the 19-year-old racing up to 36th in the rankings.
Sinner also became the first male player since Rafael Nadal (2005) to reach the quarter-finals on his French Open debut and is currently the youngest player in the top 100.
Speaking about the prospect on The Tennis Channel, Roddick has drawn parallels between him and former World No 4 Robin Soderling; best known for being one of only two players to defeat Nadal at the French Open.
“He [Sinner] can create the amount of speed and pace off his both wings,” said Roddick.
“He has knockout power on both sides with half the body. Once he grows into himself and gets out of the awkward, lanky phase (he will get better).
“He reminds me of a Robin Soderling type player but may move slightly better. This guy’s a big, big deal.
“Going to battle and making your first Grand Slam quarterfinal on a slow clay court surface in Paris last year at Roland Garros, that shows a lot.
“The biggest thing for me, he goes out and wins matches that he’s expected to win, that’s how you make a career.”
Sinner is set to make his second appearance at the Australian Open in February, having fallen short to Martin Fucsovics in the second-round on his debut last year.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner