‘Jannik Sinner has everything he needs to become a champion’, says Novak Djokovic ahead of Monte Carlo clash
Novak Djokovic said Jannik Sinner has “all the goods” needed to become a champion ahead of the pair’s clash in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters.
World No. 1 and top seed Djokovic received a first round bye at the ATP Masters 1000 event, while 19-year-old Italian Sinner beat Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-3, 6-4 in the first round. The match has been scheduled for Wednesday April 14.
“I have seen his development, his trajectory, his road to where he is at the moment. It’s really impressive,” said Djokovic on the world No. 22 in a pre-tournament interview.
“He’s a very, very nice person. He’s working really hard. He’s devoted. He’s got all the goods that he needs in order to become a champion.
“He’s surrounded with very good people from tennis coach, fitness coach, physio. I know all these people from a long time. He’s in good hands.”
Sinner reached the final of the Miami Open Masters 1000 event earlier this month – losing to Hubert Hurkacz.
The young Italian has since spoken about Djokovic ahead of their match. Read what he had to say here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner