Karlovic wins in Nottingham – indoors
A wet day in the Midlands forced the final matches at the Nottingham Open, which will not host the tournament next year, to be played indoors. No matter to Ivo Karlovic, who defended his title with a narrow victory against Fernando Verdasco.
Ivo Karlovic came through 7-5 6-7(4) 7-6(8). The win, in nearly two and a half hours, means world number 35 will go into the Wimbledon Championships next week as one of the dark horses to win the title.
Both players then had match points in the third-set breaker, but another double fault handed Ivo Karlovic the win.
Earlier in the doubles, Jamie Murray lost out with partner Jeff Coetzee 6-2 7-6(5) to Bruno Soares and Kevin Ullyett.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner