‘It’s hard. She’s super erratic’, says Bianca Andreescu after thrilling Anisimova win
World No. 9 Bianca Andreescu progressed to the fourth round of the 2021 Miami Open after a tight battle with Amanda Anisimova.
The 2019 US Open champion prevailed 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (2-7), 6-4 against the world No. 32 in a two-hour-and-45-minute third round clash.
The Canadian eighth seed won the opening set on a tiebreak after Anisimova saved 10 break points. The 19-year-old American then took the second set on a tiebreak after the pair twice exchanged breaks.
Andreescu broke for 3-2 in the third set and dropped just two more points on serve as she earned a tough win.
“My game, I know that it can be better, but I’m trying to find ways to push through on my off days, and I think I’m doing that well,” Andreescu said in a post-match interview.
— wta (@WTA) March 29, 2021
“I think that’s what makes a really good player, and I’m trying to be that really good player like I was in 2019. I did that today, and I just want to fight and give it my all and then the rest will come.
“I felt very good mentally before the match, and then on the court I felt really good. It’s hard playing a player that – she’s super erratic.
“She just slaps every ball, but she slaps it very well. I don’t want to say that in a bad way. But she’s a really good player.
“It was tough. I was getting to a lot of balls I thought I couldn’t even get to. But that just shows that all the preparation that I’m putting in is really paying off.”
The 20-year-old will face 12th seed Garbine Muguruza in the last 16.
“I’m going to do my best with treatment, best with food, best with sleep, all that stuff. I have been here before. I have played tough matches like this (and) had to play the next day, so I kind of know what to expect,” Andreescu added.
“I have to be on my A-game tomorrow because I know Muguruza is very tough to play.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner