‘It’s bloody good to be back,’ admits Ashleigh Barty after 11-month absence
World number one Ashleigh Barty couldn’t hide her delight after she played her first tennis in 11 months on Friday.
Barty had been missing from the WTA Tour since February 2020 after opting to remain at home during the coronavirus crisis.
Temporary rules has meant she has kept her place at the top of the rankings despite that hiatus, and she says it feels good to get time on a tennis court again.
“It is bloody good to be back,” Barty told the crowd after her Adelaide exhibition defeat to Simona Halep.
“I’ve trained over the last few months but nothing can replicate what we just did out here today,” she said.
“There’s a little bit of execution that we’d like to get right, but I just enjoy it so much and that’s the most important thing.
“When you come back out on court and you love what you do, I’m just excited to get started.
“If its not good next week, it might be the week after, and if it not then, then I’ll eventually get another opportunity to just keep chipping away trying to do the best that I can everyday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner