It’s all in the bounce
“You need to be able to adapt quickly to the surface as it changes with weather conditions during the match,” says Erwan Nicholas, JMT Technical Consultant and LTA Performance coach. “Dry weather will speed up the bounce of the ball, while wet weather will slow it down.
“Being versatile and responding to the ever-changing bounce and trajectories is a necessity in this world of dirt!”
Top tip: Try mixing up the slice, top spin and flat shots while rallying with an opponent who shouts out the effect you have to do.
Jonathan Markson Tennis offers tennis coaching holidays in spectacular locations. If you are looking for clay-court tennis then try their venues in Barcelona, Mallorca, Lake Garda, Venice and Andalucia. Coaching is typically three hours each morning with plenty of time to explore or relax by the beach in the afternoon. marksontennis.com
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner