‘It’s a dream’ to be Wimbledon champion says WTA star
World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty has admitted it is her dream to become Wimbledon champion as she hunts for a second Grand Slam title.
Barty won 2019 French Open, but was forced to withdraw from this year’s Roland Garros due to injury.
The hip issue has forced the Aussie to withdraw from all grass court preparation events, however Barty is adamant this won’t present any problems.
“For sure lack of matches was crucial today,” said Tsitsipas. “The transition from clay to grass, in my opinion, is probably the most difficult one, if not the biggest challenge in our sport. I just wasn’t able to adapt.
“My preparation has been as good as it could be. I couldn’t ask anything more of myself to give myself an opportunity to play.” Barty said.
Baby steps 💚💜 pic.twitter.com/LFdmrUCFWm
— Ash Barty (@ashbarty) June 12, 2021
“I haven’t played a tournament leading in, but it’s not something I’m concerned about. I’ve done everything that I can to be here. I’m excited to have another opportunity to play in a main draw at Wimbledon. I feel comfortable on the courts.”
The 25-year-old won the Wimbledon Girls’ singles title in 2011, although has never reached the quarter-final stages of main draw.
Victory at Wimbledon would see Barty achieve a lifelong ambition and cement her place as one of the top players in the world.
“One day I would love to be the champion here. “It’s a dream, it’s a goal.
“You can dare to dream, you can try and dream big. There’s certainly nothing wrong with that.” Barty added.
The World No. 1 will start her 2021 campaign later today against Carla Suarez Navarro on Centre Court.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner