‘It will stick in our minds forever’ – Matteo Berrettini dedicates ‘special’ Serbia Open title to his family
Matteo Berrettini dedicated his Serbia Open victory to his family after defeating Aslan Karatsev in a tough three-set final on Sunday.
The 25-year-old Italian beat the Russian 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-0) to triumph at the ATP 250 tournament in Belgrade for his fourth career title.
It was the first time the world No. 10’s parents were in attendance to see him lift an ATP trophy.
“It was something that I really wanted to happen, because my dad came once in Munich when I lost the final, and my mom has never come for a final,” Berrettini said in a post-match interview.
“So I was like, okay this is the right moment. And I think with a match like this it’s going to stick in our minds forever. It’s something special.
“I remember this same kind of match, 7-6 in the third, in the finals of an Under-16 in Germany. And it’s crazy, because in the end it’s the same feeling.
View this post on Instagram
“I was a kid and now I’m a pro, but it’s the same feeling. They [have] supported me since the day I was born, so it’s a great honour to bring them to these kinds of stages.
“Today I proved to myself that I can fight and I can digest tough situations. I’m able to handle really tough moments. There are moments that all athletes in general have, but I really put myself in the struggle without any fear.
“I came back stronger. Sometimes it feels nice to feel [that struggle] because I remember that I’m strong. I’m a good player, but I think I’m a stronger person.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner