‘It was super interesting to play against him,’ Dominic Thiem battles through in Doha
Dominic Thiem has withstood the challenge of Russian Aslan Karatsev to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha.
Dominic Thiem has won his first match since losing in the Australian Open fourth round last month. The 2020 US Open Champion defeated Aslan Karatsev from a set down 6-7 6-3 6-2 in their first ATP Tour meeting.
“Well, to be honest, it’s inot my first match against him,’ admitted Thiem in his on-court post-match interview. ‘We played in juniors, 10 or 11 years ago, and he also practiced with us in Vienna.
“But of course he was raising his level so much in the last six months, especially in Melbourne at the Australian Open,” Thiem added, in reference to Karatsev’s improbable run to the semi-finals down under.
“[It’s] always exciting to play against somebody for the first time on the ATP Tour, somebody you’ve never faced. I enjoyed it a lot today.”
Dominic Thiem will face the 2019 Doha champion and fifth seed Roberto Bautista Agut next in the quarter-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner