“It suits my game well,” John Isner is feeling good at the Miami Open
John Isner is all set and ready to go for his first match at the Miami Open this year, saying he is comfortable in the Magic City.
2019 finalist and 2018 champion John Isner has spoken about his feelings surrounding the first Masters 1000 of this year ahead of his opening matchup.
“I have good feelings in this city,” Isner said in an ATP Tennis TV interview. “I won in 2018 in Crandon Park and I made the finals here in 2019. It was a different venue but I felt that same good energy.”
Isner defeated Alexander Zverev in three sets in the 2018 final for his maiden, and so far sole, Masters 1000 title. In 2019, Isner once again made the final, falling in straight sets to Roger Federer.
“Being back here in 2021, I love the conditions, I like the courts and the weather’s great.
“I think it suits my game fairly well, which is why I’ve had some good results here in the past.”
Isner spoke fondly of his 2018 championship run, especially considering it came in his 30s.
“I didn’t know if I could get back to the finals of an event like this, and I did and I was able to cross the finish line there and that was very special.
“[Also] to do it at, I think I was 32, was pretty cool.”
John Isner is the 18th seed in Miami this year and will face fellow American Mackenzie McDonald in the second round after a first round bye.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner