‘It gives me confidence that I can play at top 10 level’, says Aslan Karatsev on Rublev win
Aslan Karatsev identified his semi-final triumph against Andrey Rublev in Dubai as the toughest and most important win in his title run.
The 27-year-old Russian – a wildcard at the Dubai Tennis Championships – lifted the ATP 500 title after beating Lloyd Harris in the final on Sunday.
The world No. 42 overcame nerves to edge his compatriot Rublev 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 in the last four the previous day. The week before, Karatsev and Rublev won the Qatar Open doubles title together.
“I was preparing myself just for every single match, because every match here is really tough,” Karatsev said in an interview with ATPTour.com.
“Especially on this surface, where everyone is serving well. A small mistake, and you can lose easily. So you have to focus on every match.
“I think the difficult one, mentally, was the semi-final against Rublev. I tried to dictate more with my game, and I prepared a lot mentally for that match.
“We played together one week in Doha and we won the trophy. But once you are playing each other, you step on the court and you’re opponents.
“It’s your job. And (a win like this) gives you a lot of confidence because you see the level that these Top 10 players are competing with.
“It gives me confidence that I really can be there and play at that level.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner