‘It gave me goosebumps’ – Alexander Zverev enjoys special experience in Cincinnati
Alexander Zverev says it gave him ‘goosebumps’ to be introduced to the Cincinnati crowd as an Olympic gold medallist.
The German ensured his slice of sporting immortality in Tokyo earlier this month, where he beat world number one Novak Djokovic en-route to winning the gold medal in the men’s singles.
He is playing his first tournament since then in Cincinnati this week, and he made a good start beating Lloyd Harris 7-6, 6-2.
However, it was what happened before the match that really left an impression on Zverev.
“When I came on court and they said Olympic gold medallist, it did give me goosebumps,” Zverev said.
“It made me a little nervous at the beginning of the match, I have to say because it is a special feeling.”
“I’m happy with how I am, I’m happy where I’m at and I’m happy to get my first win in seven years here.
“It’s obviously a great start to the week.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner