‘I’m much better mentally’, says Ons Jabeur after beating Coco Gauff to reach Charleston semi-finals
Ons Jabeur reached the semi-finals of the WTA 500 event in Charleston on Friday after beating Coco Gauff for the first time.
The world No. 28 won 6-3, 6-3 in a match where she was more solid than 17-year-old American Gauff – who hit 13 double faults.
The Tunisian lost both of her previous meetings with the world No. 36 last year. This is Jabeur’s first WTA semi-final appearance since Tianjin in 2019, after losing in all five quarter-finals she made in 2020.
“Maybe this year is a revenge year for me. Honestly, mentally-wise I’m much better. I’m getting there,” Jabeur said in a post-match interview.
“I had my opportunities against her (Gauff) last year. She’s a great player. I know exactly what I’m going to face and I was ready for the battle.
Ons CHOP 🪓
— wta (@WTA) April 9, 2021
“I’m glad that I’m playing good now. I know that clay is amazing and I gotta say, I have been enjoying sliding a lot lately. It’s the best part of the clay.
“I like the green clay. It’s different than the red clay but I like it. The bounce is not too high, it’s not too low. It’s a good balance for me.
“I’m just trying to play my game. I’m trying to enjoy after a very tough start to the season. A lot of expectations. I’m really glad I got to prove myself this week and I’m in the semifinals.”
Jabeur will face world No. 91 Danka Kovinic in the semi-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner