‘I’m cured!’ – Carla Suarez Navarro reveals she is cancer-free and plans to return to competition
Carla Suarez Navarro has revealed she has completed treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphona and is planning to return to competitive tennis.
The former world No. 6 was diagnosed with the cancer last September, and successfully completed her chemotherapy and radiotherapy protocol in Barcelona this week.
The Spaniard has been training since March and plans to return to action at the French Open in May. Currently ranked world No. 94, the 32-year-old has a direct entry to the main draw.
“It is another step forward on this long road. Today I finally finished the treatment and I can already say that I have overcome the lymphoma,” said Suárez Navarro on social media.
“It has been a few difficult months, where I have had to face a reality that I did not know first-hand. By being disciplined and listening to medical advice at all times, all the foundations were laid to overcome the disease.
“I want to take this opportunity to show my infinite gratitude to the health workers who take care of us every day, especially the medical personnel who have given me the belief and hope at all times during my ordeal.
Another step forward. Today I finished my treatment and overcame Hodgkin lymphoma.
Thanks to all for your warm messages. Every word of support gave me strength during the past few months. ❤️
All my gratitude to healthcare professionals who take care of us every day. I’M CURED! pic.twitter.com/kF3HwHPh0y
— Carla Suárez Navarro (@CarlaSuarezNava) April 22, 2021
“That human factor is essential to get ahead at times like this, and I feel fortunate to have also had that support. A lot of strength and a lot of encouragement also to those who continue in the fight.
“I would also like to thank all the people who have sent me words of encouragement. They have given me a lot of strength and energy.
“To the fans who have sent me words of affection through social media, to the media who have shown me their support at a difficult time, they have all made me feel accompanied and have contributed to making this path more bearable.”
Suarez Navarro will undergo a check-up within three months to control her recovery.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner