‘I was very pumped today,’ announces Tsitsipas after cruising to semi-finals
Stefanos Tsitsipas breezes through against Yoshihito Nishioka to record yet another win and reach the semi-finals in Lyon.
Stefanos Tsitsipas dispatched Yoshihito Nishioka 6-3, 6-4 in just over an hour to reach the last four in Lyon and push his win-loss record for 2021 to 31-8.
“It was a good match from my side,” Tsitsipas said in his post-match interview. “He was doing really well, putting [on] a lot of pressure, it wasn’t easy.
“His game’s a bit unpredictable, I think one of the best left-handers out there in the game. It’s never easy to be able to construct the point and play as you wish.
“He’s able to penetrate and just create shots that you don’t expect.”
Stefanos Tsitsipas has not yet faced a break point in his two matches so far in Lyon, and was dominant behind his serve otherwise today. He got 77% (37 of 48) of his first serves in and won 81% (30 of 37) of points behind it.
The Greek was even stronger behind his second serve, losing just one of 11 points on his second serve (91% win rate).
“I was very pumped today. I knew he was gonna fight, I knew he wasn’t gonna give up. His persistence, that’s the thing that makes him stand out and be where he is.”
“So, I’m pretty glad that I’m standing here right now and I’m able to walk away from this court with a win.”
Stefanos Tsitsipas will face Lorenzo Musetti for a second time in 2021 as they meet in the semi-final. Find out what the 19-year-old Italian had to say following his own quarter-final win.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner