‘I want to be as ready as I can’ – Andrey Rublev aiming to make major Miami impact
Andrey Rublev says he is wants to make sure he is ready to take full advantage of the weakened field in Miami next week.
Half of the top six – Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, and Roger Federer – have pulled out of the tournament leaving it looking a little weaker than you’d generally expect for a Masters event.
Rublev will be the fifth seed, and he believes he has a great opportunity to make an impact.
“Of course. I want to be as much ready as I can for Miami, because there’s gonna be no Rafael Nadal, no Roger Federer and no Dominic Thiem,” Rublev said.
“And in my case, all 1000s tournaments, I have no points there. So I can win a lot of points by winning a couple of matches, if I go farther I can win a lot of points. So, really great challenge for me.”
Rublev has barely put a foot wrong lately, but he still says that fear is his greatest motivation.
“Maybe it’s this kind of fear, that it’s not enough,” Rublev said.
“The fear maybe I’m not gonna make it or fear that I’m not gonna be good enough for a while.
“In the end, the fear helps me to improve. So, that’s why I want to improve and improve.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner