‘I want Novak Djokovic to win Australian Open – he has been hard done by,’ says former top ten ace
Novak Djokovic has been ‘hard done by’ in Melbourne by fans, says former top ten ace Alicia Molik.
The world number one was heckled in his third round match against Taylor Fritz as he fought what looked like a serious abdominal injury.
He also had to endure intense public criticism before the tournament when he tried to open a dialogue to adjust conditions in quarantine for players unable to train.
And Molik, who won a gold medal for Australia at the 2004 Beijing Olympics, believes the Melbourne cord have not been fair to Djokovic.
“I want Novak Djokovic to win the tournament because I think he’s at times hard done by – by the fans, by the crowd, so that might work in his favour too,” Molik told Wide World of Sports’ The Morning Serve.
“There’s been many occasions where he’s stepped out on Rod Laver Arena and the fans have been in the favour of the other player, no matter who it’s been.”
“I don’t think he feels the pressure because he’s won that much that if he loses one, no big deal, right? But at the same time, he almost doesn’t know how to lose at Melbourne Park.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner