‘I like the conditions here’ Andy Murray confident ahead of singles opener
Andy Murray will take on ninth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime in the opening round of 2020 Tokyo Olympics, but believes the tournament conditions are suited to himself.
Murray won Olympic gold in 2012, before defending his title in Rio four years later. The Brit is not deemed a favourite to win a third gold medal due to his recent injury and fitness issues.
“I do like the conditions here in terms of how the court plays and everything,” he said.
“Obviously not an easy one against Felix but I’ve played well in the practice sets and the practice matches that I’ve had and obviously today was a good one for the confidence.”
As well as playing in the singles, Murray won his opening round doubles match with Joe Salisbury against French seeds Pierre-Hugues Hubert and Nicholas Mahut in straight sets. Murray thinks his partnership with Salisbury has the potential to ‘do well’.
“I think if we keep the same sort of attitude and everything, prepare diligently, I think we’ve got a chance of doing well. But it’s not easy, just because we won that match.” he added.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner