‘I learned from losing to him in Barcelona’ – Lorenzo Musetti beats Felix Auger-Aliassime in Lyon
Lorenzo Musetti avenged his defeat to Felix-Auger Aliassime in Barcelona with a battling three-set victory to reach the second round in Lyon.
The 19-year-old Italian won 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 7-5 in the opening round of the ATP 250 tournament, after losing to the Canadian at last month’s Barcelona Open ATP 500.
The world No. 88 recovered from a 2-0 deficit in the first set tiebreak by winning seven of the next eight points to take the set. Auger-Aliassime then levelled the match after breaking twice in the second set.
Despite failing to serve out the match at 5-3 in the decider, Musetti broke for victory when the world No. 19 served to stay in the contest.
“We played a really intense match, a real fight. I learned from the loss to Felix in Barcelona. It’s a good start and I hope to continue like that,” said Musetti in a post-match interview.
“It’s going to be really tough [against Sebastian Korda] and he’s one of the best ATP ‘Next Gen’ players right now.
“I know him so well from juniors. We never played against each other. He is a fighter, so I will try and do my best to get into the quarter-finals.”
Musetti will face world No. 65 Korda in the second round on Wednesday.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner