‘I know that I will bounce back,’ says a determined Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic has vowed to bounce back and keep fighting for Olympic medals after a disappointing end to his Tokyo campaign.
The Serbian looked on track to win medals in both the men’s singles and mixed doubles competition before a surprising turn of events saw the world number one leave Tokyo empty handed.
Djokovic lost to Alexander Zverev in his semi-final encounter, before losing out to Pablo Carreno Busta in the bronze medal match.
The world number one still had a chance for a medal in the mixed doubles alongside Nina Stojanovic, though withdrew due to a left shoulder injury.
Following a disastrous Saturday for the 20-time Major champion, the 34-year-old vowed to bounce back and continue fighting for his country.
“I’ve had some heartbreaking losses at the Olympic Games,” said the Serbian.
“I know that those losses have usually made me stronger. I know that I will bounce back. I will keep going for the Paris Olympic Games. I will fight for my country to win medals.
“I am sorry that I disappointed fans in Serbia, but that’s sport. I gave it all, whatever I had left in the tank, which was not so much.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner